Phone: 780-538-4747   Fax: 780-539-6740   Email: remax@gpremax.com   Address: 10114 - 100th Street, Grande Prairie, Alberta T8V 2L9

Clairmont, Alberta

Located just 5 km north of Grande Prairie, Alberta, is the Hamlet of Clairmont, situated next to the shallow Clairmont Lake. Clairmont has a population of 1367.

Walter McFarlane, Dominion Land Surveyor, surveyed this area in 1909 and named Clairmont Lake after his hometown of Claremont Ontario (spelled differently) Previous to that the area had been called Twin Lakes. The rich farmland drew the early pioneers and Clairmont became a hamlet in 1915 about the time when the railway came. The first elevator was built then followed by more elevators later. Some of the first buildings were a hotel and a livery barn. The 1st post office opened in 1916, with Mrs. Trout being the 1st postmaster. Clairmont was incorporated as a village in 1917. The train station was built in 1923 and operated until 1960. With a considerable large fire in 1922, that destroyed many businesses, and the 1930 depression caused many businesses to close, changed Clairmont forever. It was reverted back to a hamlet in 1946.

The first school was opened in 1915 in the Clairmont Baptist Church located where the United Church now stands.

The Clairmont Hotel stands close to the original location of the old McDonald Hotel that burned in the early 1970's.

First Name:*
Last Name:*
Email:*
Click to edit...

Security Check
Retype the code from the picture